If you’re looking for inspirational breakfast ideas for your vegan lifestyle, you can prepare the following recipes in 15 minutes or less. These delicious plant-based breakfast meals provide a satisfying and nutritious start to your day!
1. Easy Tofu Scramble
Tofu scramble requires 10 minutes to prepare if you serve it with wholegrain toast and greens. If you have more time, you can prepare your favorite sautéed vegetables, vegan bacon, or homemade hash browns.
Ingredients for two servings
- One 12 to 14-ounce block of extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ t turmeric
- ½ t garlic powder
- ¼ t cumin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Baby salad greens to serve
- Pat the tofu dry and break it into small pieces with your fingers.
- Place the tofu in a bowl, stir in the olive oil and turmeric.
- Season the tofu with salt and pepper.
- Place the cumin and garlic powder in a skillet and cook on medium heat for 1 minute to release their fragrance.
- Turn up the heat to medium-high and place the tofu into the pan. Stir occasionally for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned and heated through.
- Serve with the toasted bread and baby green salad leaves.
2. Quick and Fluffy Vegan Pancakes
Make these delicious pancakes seen on Feasting on Fruit using apple sauce and oat flour. One batch will take you 15 minutes to prepare. You can add other mix-ins like chocolate chips, chopped nuts, chia seeds, or berries, or use these as a topping for a great start to your day.
3. Breakfast Burritos
Use tofu scramble to create a breakfast burrito that includes protein, carbs, fiber, and healthy fats for a nutritious start. While making the tofu, heat your refried beans and prepare the veggies for your tortilla.
4. Creative Toast Ideas
Toast remains one of the most popular breakfast ideas because it’s quick and easy to prepare. Add healthy topping ideas to slices of toast made from your favorite bread. In less than 15 minutes, you can toast your bread, fry some mushrooms and mash your avocado for the topping. Then, sprinkle with your favorite spice, flaky salt, and crushed pepper, and serve.
Other vegan topping ideas for toast include peanut butter and bananas, cashew butter topped with fruits and vegan chocolate sauce, and hummus topped with cucumber, chopped tomatoes, greens, and smoked paprika.
5. Overnight Oats
Overnight oats take 10 minutes to prepare, making it easy to do in the morning. Whether you prefer to do it overnight or just before breakfast doesn’t matter since you are guaranteed a healthy breakfast packed in nutrients and delicious. Our favorite overnight oats recipe comes from Nutrition in the Kitchen and includes quinoa.
Top your oats with the fruit mixture, or try another combination. Some ideas include Mango & Coconut, Apple & Cinnamon, Carrot Cake, Banana, and Cocoa Nibs.
6. Chia Seed Pudding
Prepare your favorite Chia Seed Pudding from the night before, and add the topping in the morning for a plant-based breakfast. Prep time for Chia Seed Pudding takes a mere 10 minutes, and there’s no cooking required. Here’s the recipe for a tasty vegan chocolate pudding topped with peanut butter and bananas.
- Chia seeds
- Non-dairy milk
- Cocoa powder
- Maple syrup
- Use 3 tablespoons of chia seeds and ¾ cup of liquid for each serving.
- Whisk the chia seeds and vegan milk for each serving into a bowl or mason jar until combined. The mixture will be smooth with no clumps.
- Add the maple syrup (2 teaspoons) and cocoa powder (1 tablespoon) to the chia seed mixture and mix well.
- Allow the mixture to rest for five minutes and mix well.
- Cover each container and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
- Top with peanut butter and bananas before serving.
Note: You can add more milk if it’s too thick before serving. Other toppings you can try include fresh or dried fruits, nuts, cocoa nibs, and granola. Other great chia pudding ideas include banana cream pie or peanut butter and jelly chia pudding.
7. Vegan French Toast
You don’t need eggs to make French toast with your old bread. This recipe for delicious vegan French toast from Love and Lemons uses almond milk with millet flour, maple syrup, nutritional yeast, and spices. You need 15 minutes of prep and cooking time to serve 2-3 portions. Then, top your French toast with fresh fruit, vegan butter, or maple syrup.
8. Quick Flourless Pumpkin Muffins
These flourless muffins will keep for at least ten days in the fridge. Otherwise, freeze them for longer storage times.
- 1 ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup canned pumpkin
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 t cinnamon
- ¼ t each ginger and nutmeg
- 1/3 cup raisins, pecans, or cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Combine all the ingredients except the cranberries well in a processor.
- Add the cranberries and pulse until everything is well mixed.
- Spoon batter into greased and lined muffin cups.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Cool the muffins before removing them from the trays.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container.
9. Brown Rice, Raisin, and Cinnamon Breakfast Bowl
Place 3 cups of cooked brown rice with one ¾ cup of plant-based milk into a saucepan. Next, add 4 T sugar, 2 T golden flaxseed meal, a pinch of salt, some vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Bring the pot to a boil. Simmer the ingredients for about 3 minutes or until thickened.
Topping ideas include chopped nuts, pomegranate seeds, cocoa nibs, and shredded coconut.
10. Quick Vegan Breakfast Bowl
Here’s another idea for using up your leftover brown rice. First, place ½ cup of reheated warm brown rice in a bowl. Then, add scrambled tofu, sautéed vegetables of your choice, and half a chopped avocado to your breakfast bowl. Serve with ready salsa.
11. Chickpea Vegan Omelet
Make this non-egg omelet from Forks and Beans in just 15 minutes. If you prepare the batter from the previous night, you only need 5 minutes of cook time. Fill it with your favorite plant-based ingredients before folding and serving.
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed·
- 2 T nutritional yeast·
- 1/3 cup plant-based milk (unsweetened)·
- 1 tsp garlic powder ·
- ½ tsp each of salt and pepper
1. Place the chickpeas in a blender or food processor with all remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
2. Pour the mixture into a greased nonstick pan over medium heat. Using a spatula, spread out the batter to form an omelet shape. Flip it after about 2 minutes when edges are slightly golden brown. Cook for another 2 minutes and serve.
12. Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal
Warm up your mornings with this pumpkin spice oatmeal from Minimalist Baker. It’s gluten-free, vegan, and needs only 10 ingredients. Serve in a bowl or mug for individual servings. Toppings include banana slices, diced apples, chopped walnuts, pumpkin seeds, raisins or dates, hemp hearts, almond butter, maple syrup, and cinnamon.
1 cup oats (gluten-free if desired)·
½ cup canned pumpkin puree ·
2 ½ cups plant-based milk (unsweetened)·
1 t ground cinnamon · Pinch of nutmeg· 1-2 T maple syrup or brown sugar (optional) Instructions: 1. In a medium saucepan, bring the oats, pumpkin puree, milk, and spices to a boil over medium heat. Stir occasionally.2. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until smooth and creamy for about 5 minutes stirring often. 3. Taste for sweetness adding more if desired before serving in individual bowls or mugs with any preferred toppings like banana slices or chopped nuts. Enjoy!
These plant-based breakfast ideas are nutritious, easy to make and delicious. All of these recipes can be tailored to meet your dietary needs and preferences. With a little bit of creativity and planning, you can start the day off right with nutritious and delicious plant-based breakfast meals. Enjoy!
What is a plant-based breakfast?
A plant-based breakfast is any meal that consists primarily of plants, such as fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and grains. This type of breakfast does not include animal products like dairy or eggs.
Are there plant-based breakfast options for people with dietary restrictions?
Yes! Many plant-based breakfast recipes, such as gluten-free, low-sugar, and vegan, can be tailored to meet different dietary needs and preferences.
Why should I eat a plant-based breakfast?
Eating a predominantly plant-based diet has been linked to many health benefits, including improved heart health and weight loss. Additionally, incorporating more plants into your meals can help reduce your environmental impact, as plant-based diets require fewer resources than animal products.
What are some ideas for a quick and easy plant-based breakfast?
Some ideas for quick and easy plant-based breakfasts include overnight oats with seasonal fruit, smoothie bowls, vegan omelets made from chickpeas, avocado toast with hemp hearts, peanut butter banana toast with chia seeds, and pumpkin spice oatmeal. With creativity and planning, you can quickly make delicious and nutritious plant-based breakfasts.