Last week, Lynn shared her story with us. Today, she shares one of her absolute favorite recipes - one that she and her husband, Marc, have found, is pleasing to vegans and non-vegans alike.
Lynn's Pumpkin Lasagna
by Lynn B.
- Serves 8
Ingredients for Ricotta "Cheese"
- 1 package, extra firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons, vegan cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon, olive oil
Ingredients for Pumpkin Sauce
- 1, 28 oz can, pure pumpkin puree
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 dashes, white pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup, soy milk
Ingredients for Veggie Mixture
- 1 tablespoons, olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- nutmeg, salt, and pepper, to taste
Ingredients for Lasagna Assembly
- 1 package, no boil lasagna noodles
- 1 cup, shredded vegan mozzarella cheese
- vegan Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast
- 1 recipe, pumpkin sauce (see below)
- 1 recipe, ricotta
- 1 recipe, veggie mixture (see below)
For the Ricotta "Cheese":
- Remove the extra firm tofu from its package, and drain. Using a fork, crumble the tofu in a skillet.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and 3 tablespoons of vegan cream cheese to the tofu, and heat the mixture over medium heat.
- Gently stir the mixture together until it resembles ricotta cheese, for approximately 2 - 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and set the mixture aside, to cool.
For the Pumpkin Sauce:
- Place the pumpkin puree in a large bowl.
- Add the nutmeg, white pepper, salt and pepper to taste, and stir. (If you'd like it spicier, just add more pepper and maybe some garlic powder.)
- Mix in the soy milk. Set aside.
For the Veggie Mixture:
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onions. Saute for 3 - 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and a dash of nutmeg for additional flavor.
- Remove from heat, and set aside.
To assemble the lasagna:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Ladle a small amount of sauce into bottom of an oven-safe, 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Cover with one layer of lasagna noodles.
- Spoon on the sauce mixture, followed by the veggie mixture, followed by the ricotta. Sprinkle with vegan parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast, and vegan mozzarella cheese.
- Add another layer of noodles, and top with another layer os sauce, veggies, and ricotta. Again, sprinkle with vegan parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast, and vegan mozzarella cheese. Repeat to create a third layer. Finish with a final topping of noodles, sauce, and vegan mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 45 minutes.
What’s your favorite non-traditional lasagna recipe? Leave a note (and a recipe link, if possible) below!