Last week, Amy shared her journey to a plant-based life with us. Today, she shares a veganized version of her favorite meal, from her favorite restaurant in college - The Topopo Salad from El Azteco.
“Topopo” means volcano, and as prepared at “El Az”, this is a huge salad for two people. The Topopo Salad is presented with the salad on top of the nacho base in a big pointed mound (the volcano.) You could add 2.5 oz vegan chicken, if you’d like.
Amy's Vegan Topopo Salad
by Amy C.
- Serves 2
- About 20 minutes
- 4 cups thinly shredded romaine lettuce
- 2.5 oz diced tomatoes
- 1-2 minced jalapenos
- 1 bunch chopped green onions
- 2.5 oz thawed frozen peas
- 6 oz shredded vegan cheese
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- pinch of salt
- dash of pepper
- pinch of sugar
- 4 oz tortilla chips
- 4 oz refried beans
- 4 oz guacamole
- Combine lettuce, tomatoes, some (1-2 oz) of the cheese, jalapenos, peas and green onions in a bowl. Toss well.
- In a separate bowl, mix oil & vinegar, salt, pepper, and sugar. Toss with salad mixture.
- Spread tortilla chips evenly on a microwave-safe plate.
- Warm refried beans. Spread refried beans over the chips.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the beans. Microwave for about one minute, or until cheese is melted.
- Spread guacamole over the melted cheese.
- Top with salad mixture to form your topopo!
Check out a photo of the original Topopo Salad here!